FC10, Virtualization , Windows XP

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 25 13:23:50 UTC 2009

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> the last I checked Avi told me that Win98SE did some
>> stuff in real mode which kvm can't catch,
>
> I believe that depends on the vendor:
>
>     According to the [Intel] VT-x spec, guest OSes cannot operate in
>     real mode… AMD SVM, on the other hand, supports real-mode for
>     guests…
>http://lwn.net/Articles/182080/
>
> (The article is about Xen and predates KVM, but the hardware is the same.)
>
> Hope this helps,

A most useful article, although getting a bit dated, many of the real mode
issues have been addressed in software (possibly using VM86 mode). XP runs fine
under KVM, so the O.P. is free to use the hypervisor of choice.

I confess I use kvm started from command line, although I am using virt-manager
in a few places where it makes sense to do so as a trade-off of complexity of
install vs. complexity of operation.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>