update caused java breakage

brian fedora at logi.ca
Thu Mar 26 00:44:03 UTC 2009

Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> brian wrote:
>> Since allowing some updates a couple days ago, I can no longer run
>> jEdit. It looks like it's something to do with X11 or GTK but that's
>> about as much as I can figure out.
>> Locking assertion failure.  Backtrace:
>> #0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0xdfc767]
>> #1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_unlock+0x31) [0xdfc831]
>
> I remember something similar happened time ago, sed command to
> disable XINERAMA...
>
> Have a look at this:
>   http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8521
 >

>> These are the updated packages:
>>
>> selinux-policy-3.5.13-49.fc10.noarch
>> selinux-policy-targeted-3.5.13-49.fc10.noarch
>> libX11-1.1.5-1.fc10.i386
>
> I guess it's libX11 which is enforcing locking rules
> which are violated by the old jpp 1.5.0 you are using.
>
> Try this
>   export LIBXCB_ALLOW_SLOPPY_LOCK=1
> or patch the libmawt.so using sed
> or, yes, change the JVM to something less buggy.
>
> Best regards.

Thanks, Roberto. I guess I was googling the wrong things. It certainly
appears to be the same problem. Strange that it still exists.

I read through that and this page, also:

I tried both the export and:

sed -i 's/XINERAMA/FAKEEXTN/g'
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.14/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so

Unfortunately, neither fix worked for me. But, at least I have a better
idea what the problem is.

Something else that I'm confused about is that I used alternatives
--config java to set the jvm to use gcj but, when I try to start jEdit,
I see that it's still being run by java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.14 for some reason.

Also, is jPackage of no use for Fedora 10? There don't seem to be any
repos available for 10. Or, am I missing something important?