How to add to grub?

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 27 03:26:01 UTC 2009

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I began making a modified grub but when I got down to the last section I
> find that the F8 drive contains no /boot/vmlinuz - ****.  It does
> however contain kernel rpm files in the yum cache.
>
> Can someone tell me how to procede?  Suggestions, forget it maybe?

depends on how bad you want to recover it.

> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.9-40.fc8.i686

what install of f8 do you have? is this from a regular install or from
a live cd?

check your f8 install is not a live, to see what is still there;
ls -l /f8mountpoint/var/cache/yum/updates/packages/*2.6.25.9-40.fc8

i am running sl5.2, f8 and f10. my last update of f8, was about a week
before eol, and kernel is 2.6.23.1-42. [ i do not recall a kernel update]

you can check http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/ to see what is there.

or you can check ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ and pull a
live cd version if yours is from a live install.

if you still have live cd, boot it, then copy vmlinuz to you f8's /boot.

there are many archive/mirrors that will still have f8, kernel.org among
them. google??

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****