Firewall and RPC Setup for NFS

Sharpe, Sam J sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:22:11 UTC 2009

2009/3/27 Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net>:
> Setting up to use NFS I've found that RPC doesn't work; it's blocked by
> the firewall.  I surmise that RPC is one of the services listed in
> System->Administration->Firewall under the "Trusted Services" tab.  But
> which one?  If my surmise is not correct, how do I enable RPC service
> without turning off the firewall?

It's not in that list, but it's port 111 udp/tcp:

[sam at machine ~]$ cat /etc/services | grep portmapper
sunrpc		111/tcp		portmapper	# RPC 4.0 portmapper TCP
sunrpc		111/udp		portmapper	# RPC 4.0 portmapper UDP

If you're firewalling NFS, you might want to also look at locking
services to particular ports and opening them on your firewall:
[sam at machine ~]$ sudo cat /etc/sysconfig/nfs
MOUNTD_PORT=4001
LOCKD_TCPPORT=4002
LOCKD_UDPPORT=4003
STATD_PORT=4004
RQUOTAD_PORT=4005

Otherwise, the assignment of ports for RPC services is random, which
creates a slight firewall issue...

--
Sam