OT: Network setup - NAT

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Mar 30 19:57:28 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 15:08 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> You will also have to add routes on all the machines. If you have
>> configured ifcfg-eth0 correctly on the laptops, they will already
>> have the routes.
>
> I've never had to add routes, just giving my network configurations
> network masks and a gateway address has always done the trick for me
> (configured through my DHCP server, these days).

I guess I should have expressed it better. If you have the network
and gateway specified in the ifcfg-eth0 file on the laptop, the
scripts will configure the routes for you. (I believe Windows does
the same thing with its network config information.) On the F10
machine, you will not want the gateway specified for the the
interfaces that have the laptops connected.

Now, if you have one laptop connected to each interface, and you are
using the same network range for both, then you are probably better
off using a PtP (PPP) setup, and proxyarp.

Mikkel