F10 - pulseaudio not running

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon May 4 20:46:22 UTC 2009

Mike Fleetwood wrote:
> On my work Fedora 10 desktop (upgraded directly from F8) pulseaudio
> doesn't run and I don't know how to fix it.  On my home Fedora 10
> desktop (upgraded to F9 then F10) pulseaudio runs OK.  As a workaround
> I have run "chmod o+rw /dev/snd/*" to allow Audacious audio player as
> non-root user access to ALSA kernel audio devices to be able to play
> music.  Help troubleshooting pulseaudio appreciated.

How are you starting your desktop? If the sound device is not accessible for
your user, PulseAudio can't use it either, as it also runs as your user.
You need to log in in a way which is recognized by ConsoleKit, which in F10
means GDM or KDM. (In F11, other ways to log in should work.)

        Kevin Kofler