rpm experiences [was: Backing up whole system]

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun May 10 16:54:23 UTC 2009

On Sunday 10 May 2009, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>On 05/10/2009 05:28 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 May 2009 00:53:52 -0400
>>
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> That leaves both of us in the dark calling each other less than
>>> experts.  And that isn't pretty to the bystanders.
>>
>> All I know about making rpms is that I searched the web for
>> simple instructions and found a link to a guide all kinds of
>> different pages pointed at as the simplest possible intro
>> document for building an rpm: It was a 97 page long pdf file.
>> I ran screaming into the night :-).
>
>Look at
>
>https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package
>
>Rahul

Which, if printed, is still 29 pages, Rahul.

Clear and Concise writing seems to be a lost art.  There has been 10x more
pages written on rpm now, than Kernigan & Ritchie put in the original C book,
but that book, and its successor (I have both) can be used for a demo of how
to write clear, concise docs.

Which has had the most profound effect on our computing experience today?  I
suspect you will not like the answer. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)