Questions on Partitioning across two drives

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Wed May 13 20:23:13 UTC 2009

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> It won't work in the usual way because md needs to store some extra information
> which generally isn't going to have any place to go in that partition unless
> the ext3 fs was created not using the whole partition. I seem to remember
> you can put the data somewhere else, but that isn't the normal way to do
> things and could easily cause problems.

The RAID superblock is at the end of the partition, so it is possible to
resize the filesystem (unmounted) to be a few megabytes smaller than
the partition, then create the RAID (for example linear of the two
pieces, with the first one being the current partition), then resize
the filesystem to use all the space.

Not trivial but doable.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it