comcast, port 25, and postfix?

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Fri May 15 01:49:53 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 2009 08:34:58 -0400
> David wrote:
>
>> Comcast stopped using port 25 for their smtp and not uses port 587. And
>> they did say it was to do as suggested. To stop spam relays.
>
> I'm not saying its a bad idea, I'm just trying to figure out the
> source of the ominous message about them detecting port 25 activity
> on my cablemodem. Why not just come out with a nice straightforward
> message saying "Hey, there is too much spam relaying, we're gonna block
> port 25 everywhere".
>
> But if there is some weird fedora app sitting in cron and trying to
> use port 25 every once in a while, I'm now determined to find it! :-).
> (Just to keep this on topic for fedora list).

Comcast is well known for having a hair trigger for blocking port 25,
and that same ominous message is always sent.  I got one more than a
year after I had stopped using port 25 and blocked it in the firewall
in the machine that is the gateway from the rest of my network to the
Internet.

                 Do NOT delete it.