rsync -

rgheck rgheck at comcast.net
Fri May 15 02:25:45 UTC 2009

Andras Simon wrote:
> On 5/14/09, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
>
>> I have two f-10 desk top computers, boxes 6 and 9. I use them
>> interchangeably and keep notes [notecase] in both. I would like to
>> update each from the other without losing anything in the process.
>>
>> The name "rsync" seems to imply that it will make them identical. Does
>> that mean if the source has fewer files than the target the target will
>> have some deleted? Is there a command string to ensure I wont lose
>> anything?
>>

> If you change the files "in parallel" on both computers, then I'm
> afraid you'll have to manually merge them. The only tool I know about
> which helps with this is Emacs' emerge (which, for all my love for
> Emacs, I find nearly unusable), but there must be others.

Yes, parallel changes won't easily be handled by anything. I guess you
could try some sort of version control, but even that's difficult to use
if the files are binary. But if the issue is just that you may have made
some changes on both machines, but to different files, then rsync is
perfect.

I use the attached bash script to rsync my laptops, work machine, and
such with my file server, which I otherwise mount via NFS for my home
machines. I'm sure it or some version of it would work simply to keep
sync two machines in sync.

Richard