cups printers disabled randomely

Randy Easley REasley at Teleflora.com
Fri May 15 14:49:30 UTC 2009

Printer will randomly disable. Have to /usr/bin/enable the printer to continue printing.

RHES4
setup using system-config-printer command line in runlevel 3
HP laser printer 4200 on an HP jetdirect print server
Raw queue, basic text print command = lp -d printer# textfile
--Printer wil randomly disable and must be manually re-enabled.

I have tried timeout =0 in cupsd.conf - no change
I have worked on this for days now... wondering what is telling cups to disable the printer?
hald is not active
mime-type application/octel-stream on
everything else is defaults in cups.

I'm hoping someone here has already "been there--done that"
Please help...

Randy