Streaming media server

Wendell Nichols wcn00 at shaw.ca
Thu May 28 13:42:15 UTC 2009

I currently play my music (which is stored in a file system on a server
on my home network) by mounting the filesystem via nfs and playing the
files in amarok.  However if any disruption to the wireless network
occurs, I lose the mount and, as you know, its hell to recover an nfs
mount if the network has failed.
What I'd like to have is something like a shoutcast server that would
serve up my collection over a network connection or somesuch.  I
installed icecast but it doesn't seem appropriate for playing disk based
music collections.. meybe I'm wrong about that.
Any suggestions?
wcn