Make a simple server -

Tosh toshlinux at gmail.com
Sun May 31 22:37:11 UTC 2009

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> What do I need to do to make a spare computer into a file server
> accessible only on my home LAN? I would like to be able to read and
> write files to it. My computers are running F-10, I believe the one I am
> considering using still has F-8 or 9 on it but it could be upgraded.
>
> I've googled a bit but most of what I found would do more than what I need.
>
> Bob

I recommend CentOS 5.3 with samba or nfs shares, it is rhel based (or
old fedora based) with long term support
nfs is only supported in linux (afaik)
samba is multiplatform supported

if you chose samba, use the samba-swat option to configure your samba
server, it is a web based config, easy to use for first time users,
otherwise use your favorite editor on /etc/sambe
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/ch-samba.html
http://www.samba.org/

for nfs look at :
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-nfs-server-export.html