Fedora & XP on same machine, good bad or ugly

Cannon, Andrew C Andrew.Cannon at amec.com
Fri May 1 09:11:17 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Steven Kemp
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 1:32 AM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Fedora & XP on same machine, good bad or ugly

Good Idea? on different hard drives. XP home installed now.
Good, Bad or ugly? Recommendations.
Steve

Steve,

I've got XP, Vista and F9 installed on my main rig at home.  All on
separate hard drives.  The installation route I took (if I can remember
that far back) was to install XP first (this is a MUST, MS arrogantly
assumed that no other OS would ever be installed alongside XP for some
reason), then Vista, then Fedora.

After the XP install, I booted off the Vista DVD and installed it with
no problems.  Vista uses a new bootloader to boot more than one OS, and
it automatically picked up XP on my system.  So, XP on /sda, Vista on
/sdb with no problems.

Install Fedora 9 to /sdc. Again no problems.  I selected GRUB as the
primary bootloader.  This moved the Vista bootloader to a second area of
the hard drive (I can't remember where, not on the system at the
moment).

The install went well and I could boot into Fedora with no problems.
Vista complained, but I just inserted the DVD and repaired the
bootloader (the system did it automatically, something I wasn't
expecting) and I've been running all three OSs happily (well, as happily
as I can get with MS) with no problems.

When you install F10 on your system with XP, you'll just get a choice
between F10 and XP in the GRUB menu.  I get a choice between F9 and the
Windows Bootloader, which then gives me the choice of XP or Vista.

I'd definitely recommend separate hard drives.  That way, when you have
to reinstall XP, you've not got to mess around trying to avoid hosing
your F10 install.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Guidelines:

This email contains confidential information. The contents must
not be disclosed to anyone else except with the authority of the sender.
Unauthorised recipients are requested to maintain this confidentiality and
immediately advise the sender of any error or misdirection in transmission.

The following notice applies to emails originating in the UK.
E-mails sent on behalf of AMEC are sent on behalf of the relevant AMEC
company below. These are registered in England and Wales with registered
office at Booths Park, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ and
number as shown: AMEC plc 01675285, AMEC Group Limited 04612748,
AMEC Capital Projects Limited 02804109, AMEC Earth and Environmental UK
Limited 04987981, AMEC Nuclear Holdings Limited 03725076,
AMEC Nuclear M & O Limited 05664844, AMEC Nuclear UK Limited 01120437,
AMEC Nuclear International Limited 03260477, AMEC Nuclear Projects
Limited 05664962  and National Nuclear Corporation Limited 02290928