f10 failed to update perl for missing dependency

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat May 2 07:54:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, 01 May 2009 14:40:58 -0400, vincent wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am running fedora 10 in HP laptop zv6000, the last couple update were
> incomplete because the dependency problem, the following is the message
> that did show when try to update.
> The message "Dependency resolution failed a package could not be found
> that allows the task to complete".
> The details are:
> perl = 4:5.10.0-56.fc10 is needed by package
> 3:perl-version-0.74-56.fc10.i386
> perl = 4:5.10.0-56.fc10 is needed by package
> 4:perl-libs-5.10.0-56.fc10.i386
> perl = 4:5.10.0-56.fc10 is needed by package
> 1:perl-Module-Pluggable-3.60-56.fc10.i386 : Success - empty transaction
> do you have any suggestion on how I can fix it?
> thank you in advance.
> Vinny

Is this with Yum or PackageKit?

What you call "details" is not so detailed. It looks a bit as if your
update tool was seeing a newer "perl" but not the corresponding updates
of other/related packages. Messages like that mean that it could not apply
some updates because it would break dependencies of old/installed packages.

Please open your favourite terminal, run "yum clean metadata ; yum update"
and don't truncate the output if you can repeat the error messages.

There has been an update of Perl to 5.10.0-68.fc10. The perl-version
(0.74-68.fc10) and perl-Module-Pluggable (3.60-68.fc10) packages are built
from the same "perl" src.rpm package, so normally they are released
together with the "perl" and "perl-libs" packages and should be available
at the same time as the new "perl" package.

Typically the fix is to clean old/cached repository metadata, try again
and wait till you're assigned to a mirror that offers a sufficiently
recent set of updates. Meanwhile you can examine your installed packages
(show what versions of the packages are installed) and list the available
updates in the remote repositories (with repoquery or yum, for example).
It's also possible to view a package repository with your favourite
browser and save a copy of the repodata directory (to further analyse
it in order to find out whether it is bad and only refers to a partial
set of the "perl" updates).