Colors different under mplayer and Gnome Mplayer

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Sat May 2 16:07:19 UTC 2009

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> I've been using mplayer to view videos till today, when I decided to try
> out totem and gnome-mplayer.  Both totem and gnome-mplayer play videos
> smoothly and with good sound, but the colors are different from the ones
> I get with mplayer.  Totem and gnome-mplayer both display the same, but
> I think the colors in mplayer are correct.  Skin tones in totem look
> bluish.  Totem and gnome-mplayer seem to be displaying red where mplayer
> displays blue and vice versa.
>
> Are there any sample videos that I can use to find out what's going on?
> The videos I've been looking at are in AVI and Windows Media formats.
> The system is x86_64 running F10 with an Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT with the
> proprietary Nvidia driver.  The colors displayed by all other
> applications look quite reasonable.
>
> Any help would be very welcome.

If red and blue appear to be exchanged, you can try to correct
the error by using the "hue" control of the players.

Either you have accidentally changed the hue in your players
and the settings have been saved, or (quite probably) there is
a bug in the players or graphical drivers.

Also try to see if there is any difference between mplayer
with -vo x11 and with -vo xv.

Testing vlc would be another data point.

Best regards.
   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it