How To Send Files Securely From Fedora

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sat May 2 20:12:26 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Robert L Cochran <cochranb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> I want to send files securely from my Fedora 11 (Preview) or Fedora 10
> systems to a Microsoft Windows (Home Edition) user who quickly gets lost if
> asked to do anything complex. By "securely" sending files, I mean I wish to
> attach files to an email and then send them over the wire either encrypted
> or password protected such that there is little possibility of anyone but
> the intended recipient being able to see the files in clear.
>
> I would also like the user to be able to send files back to me which are
> similarly secured.
>
> The user likes Windows Live Mail. I do not think the user capable of
> managing public keys or of understanding how to decrypt public-key based
> files unless it can be done with one or two mouse clicks. I could do the
> initial setup and testing myself. Everything has to be geared to allowing a
> quite basic user to view the cleartext quickly and very simply, without
> others on the Internet being able to crack it.
>
> I've thought of sending password-protected zip files using the Fedora zip
> utility. Perhaps these are compatible with the same utility in Windows XP?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Bob

Just thinking through this, haven't actually done this...

Setup TrueCrypt on both machines, I believe it support symmetric
encryption, and give share a passphrase between yourself... he should
be able to single click on files and have them encrypted, and then
email the encrypted file to/from you.

A better approach may be to setup Trunderbird on his machine with
proper a proper PKI setup so that all emails to you are encrypted
without him knowing. I don't think Windows Life Main supports non
Exchange access however.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )