nVidia vs. ATI graphics card for fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat May 2 22:56:26 UTC 2009

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Oh, I love it, my 2 year old laptop now has a deprecated video card (you
> *did* mean deprecated, didn't you?)  How do you buy a new video card for
> your laptop?????  Its not as easy as for your desktop....

Just use the Free drivers, which support these cards just fine.

> Which are not as good as the current proprietary drivers in *every*
> feature supported.  If I want 3D and video and GL, the open drivers
> don't do all 3 just yet (do they?)  The last time I tried them they
> didn't.

They do all this up to r5xx in current Fedora, and those are exactly the
cards which got dropped from Catalyst/fglrx. The HD series (>= r6xx), which
do not have Free 3D/OpenGL drivers yet, are still supported by the
proprietary driver.

        Kevin Kofler