f10dvd installs but won't boot

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun May 3 23:43:27 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-03 at 16:17 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> I am out of ideas,
> using a purchased osdisc fedora 10 dvd
>
> reinstalled f10dvd   media ck said ok
> this time using minimum options
> and this time accepting default of  mbr sda
> install said successful
> but on reboot get exactly same errors as seen
>  previously when f10 grub into sda1  notmbr , (then was using fc5 grub
> in mbr sda)
>
> this time there should have been no connection at all to my fc5 on
> sdb6
> but get same boot error:
> cant access resume device (/dev/sdb2)
> mount:  error mounting /dev/root  on /sysroot   no such file or
> directory
>
> so my hopes that my troubles were my old fc5  grub version .97-5
> was confusing f10 hence preventing f10 booting, seem not to be the
> issue.
>
> I did find one suggestion on fedora common problems or?
> "to edit the kernel argument and append "scsi_mod.scan=sync"
>
> so i use knoppixcd to get my fc5 back:  in grub  root(hd1,5)
> setup(hd0)
>  which is where i am now  for this email,
> and mount the  new installed f10 and edit its grub.conf as above
>
> then went back to knoppixcd  root(0,1) setup(0) to get back to f10
> knoppixcd out
> then rebooted again
> this time the f10dvdinst boot attempt
> does _not_ give me that dev/root  one line error
> but
> instead a whole screen of boot msgs
> but then screen quickly goes completely blank,  no response
> have to hit power button
>
> this last response says
> appending "scsi_mod.scan=sync" had some effect
> but I have no idea what else to try.
> Are there other scsi issues I should be aware of re f10?
> My sda, sdb are both scsi  disks
>
> help, please
> I really would like to dump fc5, but i need a booting f10
----
boot the F10 DVD - choose 'Rescue mode' and do not install again

Accept the default options and it should locate the Fedora 10
installation automatically and leave you at a command prompt

Type...
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda
exit
exit

remove the DVD and it should boot into F10

If not, please post the contents of /boot/grub/grub.conf

Craig

believed to be clean.