f10dvd installs but won't boot

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon May 4 19:12:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 12:00 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> Craig responded:
> boot the F10 DVD - choose 'Rescue mode' and do not install again
> <<<<<<<<<<<
>
> Accept the default options and it should locate the Fedora 10
> installation automatically and leave you at a command prompt
>
> Type...
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> grub-install /dev/sda
> exit
> exit
>
> remove the DVD and it should boot into F10
>
> If not, please post the contents of /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> Craig
> --------------
> jbyers
> did above, it found the install,
> but the response was exactly or nearly so as my last attempt:
> --does not give the  /dev/root error
>   instead flashes a full screen of boot msgs which quickly disappear
> then the screen remains blank, have to hit power.
> --it is possible still finallly hittting that /dev/root error
>  but screen goes blank so fast I cant tell.
> So, your procedure seems to do no more than my last one.
>

> here is the grub.con
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
> file
> # NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda1
> #          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/sda
> default=0
> timeout=0
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora (2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686 ro
> root=UUID=449a78aa-d4d5-4
> e91-bf9c-5833d7218c8f rhgb quiet scsi_mod.scan=sync
>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686.img
>
> this is the grub.conf produced by my install,
> but previously modified by me
>  to append
> scsi_mod.scan=sync
>
> the rescue chroot did  show device.map
> (hd0)     /dev/sda
> and said to repair it if necessary.
> I didnt do anything,
> I could add   (hd1)   /dev/sdb,
> but i thot it was not necessary for booting off of sda.
>

> One other thing i dont think i have mentioned  before:
> the boot attempt first starts with something like
> acpi  invalid[?] pblk....
>  doesnt stay on the screen long.
> I think i have seen this on every attempt.
>
> any other ideas?
> maybe retry taking out rhgb quiet?
----
you didn't post the whole grub.conf so it's not possible to compare it
to the entry for FC5

Obviously we now know you have 2 hard disks so it probably would be
helpful to show output of

grub.conf
fdisk -l /dev/sda
fdisk -l /dev/sdb

yes, if you remove 'rhgb quiet' entries from grub, you would see more
debugging information on screen but you can do that temporarily at boot
time by 'editing' the grub entries at boot time or I think pressing the
'ESC' key while starting up.

Craig

believed to be clean.