fedora-list Digest, Vol 63, Issue 16

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon May 4 21:53:29 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 13:06 -0400, Rob Campbell wrote:
>> Hope I do this right.
>
> Wow, five no-no's in one message:
>
> 1) Top-posting
> 2) Posting in HTML
> 3) Replying to a Digest and not changing the Subject line

No, no one should ever reply to a digest, and changing the subject line
is a no-no in any circumstance unless it's to change the status of the
thread, sorta like "so and so...[SOLVED]" (something I think we could
use more of).

IMNSHO, a thread is created by a real, live person (RLP) replying to a
post from an RLP.  Bots aren't RLPs, so they're excluded (OK, so I'm a
bot bigot in that regard).  Since digests are bot-created, they don't
constitute a first posting by the above criteria.

IIRC, technically the first reply creates the thread--a message by
itself does not constitute a thread.

> 4) Not editing the quoted material in any way.
> 5) Not referring to anything in the quoted material.
>
> Is this a record?

Close.  I think the record also had a nonsensical legal disclaimer and
an attachment with an advertisement (spam).  I think we tarred and
feathered him and ran him off the list on a rail.  :-)