Installing a module

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue May 5 01:01:04 UTC 2009

William Case wrote:

> I have checked man modprobe.d --  "install modulename command..."
> Will "install tuner" do or do I need a specific command? If so what
> would it be?  I have no dependencies etc.

The install option is not what you need, unless you want to do some
other things besides loading the module. You may need an alias line
instead.

> As well, there is file /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist.  I assume
> this is where I add the line -- but no mention of modprobe.conf.dist is
> made in man.

The nice thing about the /etc/modprobe.d directory is that you can
create your own file for a specific device, so that it does not get
wiped out during an update. You can think of each file in
/etc/modprobe.d as a /etc/modprobe.conf file. So create a file
called tvtime and put the lines you need for tvtime in it.

Mikkel