f10dvd installs but won't boot

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue May 5 03:30:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 19:39 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> >>selecting the norhgbquiet stanza
> >>gives me a  long list of boot msgs, lasting longer than seen before
> >>and it appears to quit
> >>starting X server
>
> >>screen then goes blank
>
> >>does this help narrow down what is wrong?
>
> >>Jack
> ------
> Craig responded
>  >not really...
>
> >Comment the line that says hiddenmenu (add # in front) and you will
> see
> >the choices
>
> thank you, idid not know that
>
> norhgbquiet is not a valid option...simply remove the entire thing
> (the
> >words no, rhgb and quiet)
>

> I did not use norhgbquiet as an option, just as a phrase in title
> I removed  all of "rhgb quiet" for this stanza
>

> >  Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> >/dev/sda1   *           1        2676    21494938+  83  Linux
> >which makes /dev/sda1 way larger than just a /boot volume so I'm sort
> of
> >confused what you actually have there.
>

> sda1 is the entire f10 /  , no separate /boot partition,
> is that a problem?
> I trying to not use LVM
----
I think that is OK but I don't know for sure because I've never done
that. Obviously the entire partition has to be mounted ro and then
remounted as rw and I'm not familiar enough with the process to know if
that is a problem
----

> >If after booting Fedora 5, you do something like this as root...
>
> >mkdir /mnt/sda1
> >mkdir /mnt/sda3
> >mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
> >mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3
>
> >I'd be interested to know what you got as a result of these
> commands...
>
> >ls -l /mnt/sda1
> >ls -l /mnt/sda3
>
> sda3 is being used for another ancient rh8 linux
> for a legacy app  and should be playing no role
> in my problems here
>
> booted into fc5 I have sda1 mounted on /f10liv
> root at bootp ~]# mount
> /dev/sdb6 on / type ext3 (rw)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> /dev/sda1 on /f10liv type ext3 (rw)
>

> [root at bootp ~]# ls -l /f10liv
> total 116
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 May  3 05:17 bin
> drwxr-xr-x   4 root root  4096 May  3 05:08 boot
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 May  3 04:58 dev
> drwxr-xr-x 115 root root 12288 May  4 07:22 etc
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Sep  6  2008 home
> drwxr-xr-x  17 root root 12288 May  3 05:17 lib
> drwx------   2 root root 16384 May  3 04:56 lost+found
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Sep  6  2008 media
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Sep  6  2008 mnt
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Sep  6  2008 opt
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 May  3 04:56 proc
> drwxr-x---   5 root root  4096 May  3 08:25 root
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 12288 May  3 05:17 sbin
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 May  3 04:58 selinux
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Sep  6  2008 srv
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 May  3 04:56 sys
> drwxrwxrwt   5 root root  4096 May  4 07:23 tmp
> drwxr-xr-x  13 root root  4096 May  3 05:03 usr
> drwxr-xr-x  20 root root  4096 May  3 05:19 var
> [root at bootp ~]#
>

> >and I'm gathering that you must be using 36 GB SCSI disks because on
> >Fedora 5 boot, if these were not scsi disks, they would likely
> >be /dev/hda|/dev/hdb
>
> I explicitly said they are scsi disks in one of my responses
> and yes they are 36gb
> Again, does using scsi disks mean i have special requirements?
----
you probably did - reading through your e-mails is very tough because
you continue to use HTML format which really makes it hard to decipher
everything.

I don't know that scsi would have any special requirements but I was
wondering what the differences would be from Fedora 5 and Fedora 10 and
I suppose that you could compare /etc/modprobe.conf from the 2
installations. It sort of sounds like there is a problem with your
initrd but I can't tell.

At this point, having rhgb and quiet removed from grub boot options
should give you a fair amount of information at startup and I probably
wouldn't be using scsi_mod.scan=sync at this point because that seems to
be more of a tuning thing but I don't know what it actually would do.

you could always append 'acpi=off' as a kernel parameter but that is a
rather drastic measure, you didn't seem to need it in order to install
F10 so I would want to look at the debugging info on the startup screen
for more information at this point.

Craig

believed to be clean.