Installing a module

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Tue May 5 21:33:14 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 05 May 2009 00:55, William Case wrote:
> Thanks Nigel;
>
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 23:06 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Sunday 03 May 2009 20:04, William Case wrote:
> > > Hi;
> > >
> > > I have had difficulty getting tvtime to work.  There is no sound and
> > > the channel changer wouldn't work.
> > >
> > > I have solved the channel changing problem by modprobe tuner -- but I
> > > can't get it to stick i.e. I need to put a line into modprobe.d.  How
> > > do I do this?
> > >
> > > I have checked man modprobe.d --  "install modulename command..."
> > > Will "install tuner" do or do I need a specific command? If so what
> > > would it be?  I have no dependencies etc.
> > >
> > > As well, there is file /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist.  I assume
> > > this is where I add the line -- but no mention of modprobe.conf.dist is
> > > made in man.
> > >
> > > Just some suggestions would be helpful regarding sound.
> > >
> > > I am using alsa
> > >
> > > My tvtime.xml is set to :line
> > > I have no actual external line-in from my Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1800 PCIe
> > > tv tuner card to my sound.
> > >
> > > My Volume Gui is set to HDA Intel (Alsa Mixer)
> > > with volume sliders for Master (60%), PCM (100%), Front (100%), Line-in
> > > (100%), CD (0 %), PC Speaker (100%)
> > >
> > > I have been told that tvtime automatically finds my sound mixer driver
> > > and after that all sound problems are with alsa !?
> > >
> > > What other sound configurations should I experiment with?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards Bill
> > > Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3
> > > Evo.2.24.5, Emacs 22.3.1
> >
> > Hi Bill.
> >
> > I probably can't help much as my card is an Hauppauge WinTV Express.
> > Analogue TV (antenna), and the card has an audio out for connecting to
> > the line in on the soundcard.
>
> People keep asking me that.  On a previous TV tuner I did need a line
> from tuner audio-out to sound audio line-in so I know what you are
> talking about.  But none was provided with the Hauppauge tuner kit; PCIe
> is not supposed to require one (as I understand it) and my WindowsXP
> setup works fine without one.
>
> > Anyway can you send the output from the following before you
> > modprobe the tuner module.
> >
> > lspci -vn
> > lsmod        (the whole lsmod please)
>
> The output is attached below.
>
> > To autoload the tuner module at bootup, and as Fedora does not have
> > an /etc/modules file (as debian has), try putting the line below
> > in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> >
> > modprobe tuner
>
> Of course.  I got so carried away with trying to
> modify /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist I forgot the obvious.
>
> > Not sure on the sound problem as I don't know how the sound is routed to
> > the soundcard from your TV card. Open alsamixer as below, and press F4
> > which will show the capture controls. If your soundcard is an hda-intel
> > one, there will be few controls showing, but maybe it's worth a fiddle
> > with what's there.

> [...]

Hi Bill.

Apologies. I forgot to add the alsamixer command so as to bypass the default
alsamixer screen when pulseaudio is installed. The command below will open
alsamixer and show all controls available for your soundcard. Again F4 will
show the capture controls.

alsamixer -D hw:0

Your lsmod shows a bunch of modules loaded that are specific to the TV card.
Quite why the tuner module isn't being loaded automatically, I don't know. It
may be worth a look at dmesg, and see what is being loaded for the TV card.
You may see some reference to the tuner module.

If you still can't get any sounds after fiddling with alsamixer, it may be
worth disabling pulseaudio temporarily, in case it for some reason is not
able to deal with sound output from the TV card. The command below as root
will disable it.

yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

If your using KDE like me, kde-settings-pulseaudio will also be removed, so to
re-enable pulseaudio you will have install both packages.

All the best.

Nigel.