f10dvd installs but won't boot

David bouncingcats at gmail.com
Wed May 6 01:29:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 13:31 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
>> David wrote
>> Just in case you are not aware of this Jackson, it may help to know
>> that the boot process and messages can be paused by pressing ctrlS and
>> resumed by ctrlQ
>> --------
>> jbyers:
>>
>> thanks David, that helps me look at all msgs up to some point
>> shy of the failure point

I forgot to say too that when you are paused, you can page backward
and forward with shiftPageUp and shiftPageDown. Another one of those
things you are supposed to "Just Know".

But probably this is irrelevant now, because it does look like an X
problem, not that I have been paying close attention. I recommend
Craigs suggestions to at least get you to a login prompt where it will
be easier to troubleshoot X. To summarise:

do this in grub.conf:

# hiddenmenu
timeout  10

> B. Press a key at the grub prompt and highlight the kernel with the
> arrow keys and press the letter 'e', move down to the kernel line and
> press the letter 'e'. Add a space and put in the number "3" to tell it
> to boot to runlevel 3

or in grub.conf you can add the parameter "3" to the kernel line. If
there is a 5 there then change it to a 3. Because runlevel 5 tries to
start X at boot time, whereas runlevel 3 does not use X, instead it
boots to a text console.