F10 - pulseaudio not running

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed May 6 02:53:38 UTC 2009

Mike Fleetwood wrote:
> To me Fedora 10 appears to set the permissions of the ALSA sound
> devices to read-write for root only and none for all other users.

... except your local console user, which gets the permissions using the
POSIX ACL feature.

> crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116, 8 2009-04-08 13:16 controlC0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116, 7 2009-04-08 20:06 pcmC0D0c
> crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116, 6 2009-05-04 07:10 pcmC0D0p
> crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116, 5 2009-04-08 13:16 pcmC0D1c
> crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116, 4 2009-04-08 13:16 pcmC0D1p
> crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116, 3 2009-04-08 13:16 seq
> crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116, 2 2009-04-08 13:16 timer

The '+' here means some ACLs are set. Try:
getfacl /dev/snd/*

PulseAudio is only SUID root to allow it to use real-time priority for users
in the pulsert group or with real-time priority allowed through PolicyKit.
It does not use the root privileges to access sound devices, it accesses
them as your regular user.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

        Kevin Kofler