"Blinking lights of death" ? Netgear Switch GS108

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 6 09:21:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 08:29 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Another issue is using capacitors that are close to the operating
> voltage of the system.  12V and use 15V capacitors.  This doesn't give
> any overhead for voltage spikes or surges caused by charging and
> discharging circuits.

For electrolytic capacitors, they're only close to their capacitance
when run close to their working voltage.  e.g. A 10 microfarad 100 volt
capacitor doesn't behave as a 10 microfarad capacitor if you run it at
12 volts.  Circuitry should protect against spikes/surges with crowbar
circuitry to clamp them down.  Though, I really wouldn't expect to see a
big spike in a 12 volt circuitry, unless it was a switchmode power
supply.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686