Wireless speed drops

Georgi Hristozov georgi at forkbomb.nl
Wed May 6 16:16:41 UTC 2009

Hi,

David Timms написа:
> Georgi Hristozov wrote:
>> <snip>
> Did you check /var/log/messages between the time it's working well, to
> when it starts to go slow ?
> Does NM go through a disconnect, connected process ?

There's nothing in /var/log/messages. NM gets through this process, but
it doesn't actually put the interface down. That's what I quite can't
understand - how can this be fixed without bringing down the wlan interface.

>> Any ideas how can I debug this issue?
> - With another wireless machine, can you prove to yourself that access
> rate stays high even when problem laptop goes slow ?
>
> - Once troubled, does a WAP gateway restart help ?
>
> - Does the laptop only have trouble with this WAP, ie test it with
> another WAP ?
>
> - Could the wireless card be getting put in low power mode/asleep where
> waking doesn't working properly ?
>
> - Are you using power suspend or sleep modes ?
>
> - can a wired connection to the same network stay up and continually
> download at good wired rates (eg 60Mbps on 100M connection ?
>
> - Is the wap a router as well ?
>
> - are you using any peer-peer network apps on either wired or wireless
> parts of your network, or even the on the troubling laptop ?
>
> - Does the WAP log show any trouble ?
>
> - Are you moving too close or far away from the WAP ?
>
> - Interference from too many 802.11 frequency devices like other WAPs,
> microwave, DECT cordless phones etc ?
>
> - does the wireless tools like iwconfig etc show that the connection
> speed has been adjusted ?
>
> - does it matter if your notebook is running of mains or battery ?
>
> These are just random guesses really, since my 3945 on HP nx6320 works
> just fine, and continues to work when I take the notebook downstairs,
> some obstructions away. However, my WAP Netgear WTG624 needs a power
> reboot about every one-two weeks because it stops responding anymore, ie
> the client network cards (notebook and 802.11G mobile phone) can no
> longer connect.
>
> DaveT.

I have tested a lot of wireless equipment with this AP, and everything
worked fine. The channel I'm using is "far away" from the other wireless
networks in my area. Moreover I bought the notebook with Vista and it
worked perfectly for a few months. I tried with Vista now again (it's
still on the other partition) and it seemed to be OK.

About the power suspend - the problem appears no matter if I'm working
on the notebook or not. Anyway, I have some trouble with ACPI (sometimes
the machine doesn't want to sleep, but I think it's caused by the CIFS
shares) and maybe I should investigate this.