f10dvd installs but won't boot

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed May 6 17:00:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 09:00 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> jbyers:
> end of quote re "scsi_mod.scan=sync"
>
> Important Note: mkinitrd-6.0.71-3.fc10 fixes the issue above!! Please
> update your system after fixing manually, or better after booting
> using the kernel argument "scsi_mod.scan=sync" !!!
> ---
> Craig:
> If you read Bill Nottingham's comment (# 19), the solution seems far
> easier..
> ----
> jbyers:
> <<#19 in the bugreport
>  Bug 473305 -  Booting from SCSI/RAID device fails
> Comment #19 From  Bill Nottingham  2008-12-19 12:09:08 EDT
> Install the update mkinitrd and remake your initrd
> -----
> Craig:
> You would have to get a boot up and into a virtual console.
>
> Either...
>
> A. let it boot up until the screen disappears...
> press <Control><Alt><F2>
>
> or
>
> B. Press a key at the grub prompt and highlight the kernel with the
> arrow keys and press the letter 'e', move down to the kernel line and
> press the letter 'e'. Add a space and put in the number "3" to tell it
> to boot to runlevel 3
>
> After startup either way...
> login as root and as root, run...
> yum update mkinitrd
> yum update <<< will update all installed pkgs
>
> This would take some time to install all of the updates.
>
> jbyers:
> doing above means I dont have to run mkinitrd  to make new initrd?
> Because the   yum update  will update the initrd also?
----
I'm gathering that if you have the updated mkinitrd installed, at the
point a new kernel is installed, it would use the updated mkinitrd to
create a working initrd
----

> Craig:
> This still won't solve your X problems.
> That would probably need you to switch to the console again as above and
> again, login as root
> init 3
> yum install system-config-display
> system-config-display --reconfig
>
> and see if you can get a working X display
>
> You can test it by typing 'startx'
>
> Once you get X running, you can type 'init 5' or just reboot
> ----
>
> jbyers:
> I am familiar with startx, I run that way in my fc5
>
> Are you telling me that my f10 boot is actually finishing?
> and only then failing on X-server?
>
> thanks for response
----
that is my presumption. You can test the theory fairly simply by
pressing <Control><Alt><F2> simultaneously after the screen goes blank
and fails to give you a working X

Craig

believed to be clean.