f10 failed to update perl for missing dependency

Vincent Onelli vonelli at optonline.net
Thu May 7 18:23:03 UTC 2009

> Message: 15
> Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 09:54:04 +0200
> From: Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: f10 failed to update perl for missing dependency
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>
> On Fri, 01 May 2009 14:40:58 -0400, vincent wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>> I am running fedora 10 in HP laptop zv6000, the last couple update were
>> incomplete because the dependency problem, the following is the message
>> that did show when try to update.
>> The message "Dependency resolution failed a package could not be found
>> that allows the task to complete".
>> The details are:
>> perl = 4:5.10.0-56.fc10 is needed by package
>> 3:perl-version-0.74-56.fc10.i386
>> perl = 4:5.10.0-56.fc10 is needed by package
>> 4:perl-libs-5.10.0-56.fc10.i386
>> perl = 4:5.10.0-56.fc10 is needed by package
>> 1:perl-Module-Pluggable-3.60-56.fc10.i386 : Success - empty transaction
>> do you have any suggestion on how I can fix it?
>> thank you in advance.
>> Vinny
>
> Is this with Yum or PackageKit?

Automatic update
When the message showed up there was a button call  "details" when clicked
on showed the few line that I copied and send in.

> What you call "details" is not so detailed. It looks a bit as if your
> update tool was seeing a newer "perl" but not the corresponding updates
> of other/related packages. Messages like that mean that it could not apply
> some updates because it would break dependencies of old/installed
> packages.
>
> Please open your favourite terminal, run "yum clean metadata ; yum update"
> and don't truncate the output if you can repeat the error messages.

before execute the above command I want to try to use the comand "su -c 'yum update' "
and found out that for some reason it update perl and few other programs without complaint

> There has been an update of Perl to 5.10.0-68.fc10. The perl-version
> (0.74-68.fc10) and perl-Module-Pluggable (3.60-68.fc10) packages are built
> from the same "perl" src.rpm package, so normally they are released
> together with the "perl" and "perl-libs" packages and should be available
> at the same time as the new "perl" package.
>
> Typically the fix is to clean old/cached repository metadata, try again
> and wait till you're assigned to a mirror that offers a sufficiently
> recent set of updates. Meanwhile you can examine your installed packages
> (show what versions of the packages are installed) and list the available
> updates in the remote repositories (with repoquery or yum, for example).
> It's also possible to view a package repository with your favourite
> browser and save a copy of the repodata directory (to further analyse
> it in order to find out whether it is bad and only refers to a partial
> set of the "perl" updates).

Thank you again