what is "Document Viewer"?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu May 7 14:56:34 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> brian wrote:
>> Thanks, Sam & Georgi. I'm having a little PDF issue: ghostscript is
>> complaining but Document Viewer is not. I needed to know that app is for
>> debugging info. This is perfect.
>
> Yet another reason why programs should be named with their actual name in
> the menus, not some generic name. :-/ This crap really needs to get fixed.

I think you have lost sight of the user here, the average user would see
"evince" in a menu and have zero idea what it is and does. It is a meaningless
collections of vowels and consonants which are unrelated to the function. The
name of the application should be available, but not at the expense of something
useful to typical user.
   document viewer (evince)
   document viewer (xpdf)
for examples.

Having the document viewer in graphics is probably not optimal, but there isn't
a perfect place on the menus, maybe "office" is a bit more intuitive.

> FYI, for next time, the easiest way to figure out what something
> like "Document Viewer" actually is is to go to Help / About within the
> program.

In a perfect world there would be a click to get a useful description off the
menu. Until then "about" is a good thing to remember.

I find that I learn about a bunch of obscurely named packages by reading the
packages released feed or newsgroup. The one paragraph description is enough to
decide if a package might be useful, and wherever they come from it would be
nice to have a package->description tool. Or maybe we do and I just haven't read
about it yet. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>