Accessing A Fedora 7 Box FROM The Net

Paul jpb at entel.ca
Thu May 7 16:40:41 UTC 2009

You make some pretty heady assumptions here, including where you assume I am
speaking on my own behalf about the process of upgrading a machine to a new
version. I in fact do run Fedora on a number of machines, but that number is
progressively decrementing. The only time I install Fedora on a box anymore
is when a client absolutely requires something that is not available in
RHEL/CentOS yet, such as the 'latest and greatest' (which too often is more
late than great) web 2.0 fluff.

The point remains, despite your arguments, that all of the dependencies
could be upgraded together at one time without changing to an entirely new
release. The Fedora legacy project is not in any way comparable, because it
was attempting to extend the life of old releases with far less resources
than were being put into developing the 'latest and greatest'.

I can agree with you on only one thing, Fedora is not suitable for (the
majority of) my needs, because I run systems that require much more
stability and reliability than Fedora can provide and don't have time to
waste on distro upgrades and fixing everything they break, often as much or
more time that would, as you say, be wasted rebuilding and testing packages
upgraded outside the "plan". Funny though, I spend significantly less time
upgrading the OS on my RYO Linux box than I have ever had to spend fixing
the problems caused by a Fedora release upgrade on any box, and I update it
far more frequently than Fedora makes releases.

- Paul