what is "Document Viewer"?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 7 19:13:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 11:59 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> for a brief description of what a menu entry does, you can put
> the mouse pointer on the entry and get a tool tip.

Sometimes you get really stupid descriptions in there.  e.g. The tooltip
for Amaya says "edit the web".

Gee!  Really?  Can I delete microsoft.com?

> On the other hand, adding an option to the right-click menu to read
> more about the application would be handy...

The desktop files used to populate the menus should have the proper
application name in the right place, a terse description in the right
place, and more details in the right place.  And a user menu option
ought to select what's shown.  e.g. select to show Names in menu, select
to show terse info in the same menu item, select whether the longer
detailed pop-ups do pop up, with the default to do the obvious name and
terse description.  e.g. "Amaya, web page editor."

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.