Accessing A Fedora 7 Box FROM The Net

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu May 7 19:48:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 09:40 -0700, Paul wrote:

> You make some pretty heady assumptions here, including where you assume I am
> speaking on my own behalf about the process of upgrading a machine to a new
> version. I in fact do run Fedora on a number of machines, but that number is
> progressively decrementing. The only time I install Fedora on a box anymore
> is when a client absolutely requires something that is not available in
> RHEL/CentOS yet, such as the 'latest and greatest' (which too often is more
> late than great) web 2.0 fluff.
>
> The point remains, despite your arguments, that all of the dependencies
> could be upgraded together at one time without changing to an entirely new
> release. The Fedora legacy project is not in any way comparable, because it
> was attempting to extend the life of old releases with far less resources
> than were being put into developing the 'latest and greatest'.
>
> I can agree with you on only one thing, Fedora is not suitable for (the
> majority of) my needs, because I run systems that require much more
> stability and reliability than Fedora can provide and don't have time to
> waste on distro upgrades and fixing everything they break, often as much or
> more time that would, as you say, be wasted rebuilding and testing packages
> upgraded outside the "plan". Funny though, I spend significantly less time
> upgrading the OS on my RYO Linux box than I have ever had to spend fixing
> the problems caused by a Fedora release upgrade on any box, and I update it
> far more frequently than Fedora makes releases.
----
as you have no doubt noticed, there are a lot of different Linux
distributions with different goals in terms of package maintenance and
support.

Everyone has to decide what works best for their situation and it's
clear that different people have different needs.

Fedora clearly intends to be a 'leading edge' distribution and that does
indeed mean frequent upgrades to kernels, gcc, and other base packages
that do not necessarily lend themselves to simplified updates.

I gather that if you are rolling your own - i.e. an LFS type
installation you aren't all that eager to update gcc but hey, it's all
good.

Some people just upgrade Fedora releases via yum or preupgrade which
does update the entirety of the installed packages and has been
relatively easy for those who have enough familiarity with Linux but
clearly not for the average user.

I would agree with the point that where long term maintenance and
stability is desired, I use RHEL or CentOS rather than Fedora but my
desktop needs/wants/desires the leading edge.

Craig

believed to be clean.