Adding Partitions

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 8 09:41:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 20:59 -0400, Paul Stewart wrote:
> I've never seen this UUID stuff before - how do I add my new partition
> to fstab?

You can still mount them using device names as you've done before.
Though note that on systems with variable drives (plugged in, not
plugged in, booted in alternative ways, etc.), that device names can
shuffle around.

e.g. /dev/sda1  /boot   ext3  defaults 1 2

Or use the unvarying UUIDs instead of device names.

e.g. UUID=7877er-34324-354534-654634 /boot   ext3  defaults 1 2

Though, the installer should take care of this for you.  When you select
what partitions to mount where, it should write the fstab file for you.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.