install disk

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri May 8 12:01:02 UTC 2009

Michael Shelby wrote:
>          OK, I am having a challenging time with my video drivers, which
> I am not complaining, I knew this whole process  was going to be an
> experience builder, I like a challenge. I am a game designer in the
> works that is why I am liking this OS because of all the different
> developing software they have that are open source. Any way I finally
> fingered out how to use the terminal to install the ATI drivers for my
> card, strait from ati web site, run the aticonfig, which i dont know if
> I am soppost to modify any thing, reboot and it loads to the blue and
> white load screen and freezes. had to reinstall fresh. You said

You sure are going about this the hard way....

>      " I'm sure Kevin Kofler will have more to say on this subject, as
>     he seems to be more up-to-date on the state of the free ATI drivers
>     than I am."
>

> If you could forward this to him or tell me where to contact him via
> email,

He is on this list.

>         I do not think I am installing XFree86-Mesa-libGL correct.
>         Pretty sure I got the rest,  libstdc++, libgcc, XFree86-libs,
>         fontconfig, freetype, zlib, gcc
>

>         Display1:  PCI express 2.0 1 gig ATI Radeon HD 4670
>         Display2: Onbord ATI Radeon™ X1200 -- I dont use Onbord
>           sys info: Acer Aspire M1100
>
>        BIOS:  Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
>        AMD Athlon 64X2Dual 4400+ 2.3Ghz
>        6 gig ram
>

>         OS Dual boot: Fadora 11 64bit rawhide and vista home 32bit
>

> I can not do any 3D modeling  or relly anything that has to use any 3D
> rendering like some of the 3d games you can install and the desktop
> effects will not enable.

Try the following:

	yum install xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd

You should also have the xorg-x11-drv-ati package installed.

In your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, you might try changing your driver from
"ati" or "radeon" to either "radeonhd" or "fglrx" (since you have the
fglrx driver installed from source).  Personally, I install it from the
RPMFusion repository.

# rpmq -a \*fglrx\*
akmod-fglrx-9.3-1.fc9.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-9.3-2.fc9.x86_64
kmod-fglrx-9.3-1.fc9.x86_64
kmod-fglrx-2.6.27.19-78.2.30.fc9.x86_64-9.2-2.fc9.1.x86_64
kmod-fglrx-2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.x86_64-9.3-1.fc9.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-libs-9.3-2.fc9.x86_64

A simple:

	yum install xorg-x11-drv-fglrx

should drag in all the needed dependencies.

And above all, read the documentation that comes with the drivers.  Make
sure that your video card is supported to the degree you need it supported.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net