APOLOGY Re: Software request

Beartooth Beartooth at comcast.net
Fri May 8 20:45:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, 06 May 2009 00:28:59 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> On 05/04/2009 11:00 PM, Beartooth Comcast wrote:

>>> Run these commands:
>>>
>>> rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
>>> rpm --rebuilddb
>>>
>>> and try again.
>>
>> [root at Hbsk2 btth]# rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db* [root at Hbsk2 btth]# rpm
>> --rebuilddb
>> [root at Hbsk2 btth]# rpm -ivh gnome-format-0.1.1-1.fc10.i386.rpm
>
> # yum localinstall <filename> --nogpgcheck

	I normally read this list with Pan via Gmane, with my
subscription set to nomail. For some reason, however, in this thread I
was getting posts from Rahul in my email; since the list was copied, I
went ahead and replied in email.

	Now I see what looks like Rahul replying to Rahul, with my posts
not on Gmane.  I don't know how or why that happened.

	Rather than dig them all up (unless requested), I'll just
describe result so far.

	I have gnome-format installed. It launches, and seems to try; but
I then get an error message saying "Error opening /dev/sdc: Permission
denied" -- even if the disk is one whose Properties tell me its
permissions "could not be determined."

	I did

[root at Hbsk2 dev]# chown -R btth:btth /dev/sdc
[root at Hbsk2 dev]#

and that seems to've gotten rid of the permission problem -- or
maybe just hidden it ...

	Eventually, after various warnings, it does show both the stick
and the file system to put on it, as well as a live "Format" button.

	Then nothing more happens. No matter how long I leave it (up to
half a day), gnome-format shows no sign of doing anything; and the stuff
on the stick is still there.

	<sigh>