Fedora sendmail auth

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri May 8 21:50:37 UTC 2009

Steven W. Orr wrote:
> Sorry but this is exactly what I didn't want. When I said gentle I really
> meant it. If I'm sitting in a hotel then how does my access file know if
> it's my laptop? What is MSA with login creds? How do I enable SSL, and

MSA is the Mail Submission Agent.  It requires that you login to the
server using a username/password known to the server in order to be able
to use it.  Failure to login == failure to use the submission port.

Sorry, I don't know of a simple HOWTO, but in order that you don't have
an "open mail relay" that any spammer can use, you have to close it off
somehow.  It should be sufficient for your email client (wherever it is)
to be able to authenticate with your mail server.  Perhaps googling MSA
will turn up some information on how it works, and what you will need to
do in order to use it.  It is specifically designed for your case of
being outside you local network.

> what is ISTR?

Jargon:  I Seem To Remember

--