f10dvd installs but won't boot

David bouncingcats at gmail.com
Sat May 9 09:36:23 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 3:11 AM, jackson byers <byersjab at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to thank you for taking the time to  write your criticism of my
> replies.

No problem, I'm not the fedoralist police or anything else special,
just trying to steer you towards getting your problem solved. Right
from the start my impression was that you had a X problem, and I know
what a pain that can be as I've had similar troubles.

Many people on this list will have much greater expertise than I to
solve your X problem. My *non-expert* suggestions are that you could:

1) yum update xorg-x11-drv-mga

2) Use google to see if anyone else has ever had the problem you are
seeing. Search on (xorg, matrox, mga, g550, fedora, problem, fail,
etc, use your imagination).

3) Also search for general X troubleshooting strategies. Keep in mind
that aged advice may not apply to current X.

4) Try searching archives of this list at
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general

5) Look at the xorg.conf of your previous Fedora install for ideas, if
it is working ok on the same hardware.

6) Try to create your own xorg.conf based on it and/or your tmp ones.
Your xorg.log seems to be using the correct driver but reports "No
monitor specified", you could try adding a "Monitor" block to your
xorg.conf, particularly if you have one that works for your previous
Fedora. I've had to do similar in the past.

And if none of that helps, you could:

7) Read:
and perhaps start a new thread, because currently the subject line of
this long thread is not describing your current issue.

8) If your previous Fedora xorg.conf works, you could post it here
along with your current one.

8) Use a pastebin so we can see logfiles without having to put them in
a long email as described here: