FC10 and NDISwrapper

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat May 9 13:00:10 UTC 2009

On 05/07/2009 01:38 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 10:30:13AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Jerry Feldman wrote:
>>
>>> Rather than screw with NDISWrapper, are you using a BroadCom NIC?
>>> There is a native Broadcom driver in F10, but you need to load the
>>> firmware. There is a utility called b43-fwcutter you would use to do
>>> this from the Windows driver. In any case, it might be better for you to
>>> describe your wireless chip and Dell model. Note that NDISWrapper is
>>> bith a driver (ndiswrapper.ko) as well as a command.  But, in the case
>>> of Broadcom, it will conflict with the native driver.
>>>

>> Where do you D/L the firmware? Or even find the name of the firmware file
>> to try and dig it out of Windows? The wireless web site has numbers for the
>> firmware, but they haven't matched any filenames for most of the laptops
>> I've used.
>>

> The instructions seem fairly clear here:
>
> 	http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#firmwareinstallation

When I first used NDISWrapper on my laptoip, I downloaded the Windows
.sys file directly from the HP support site for my laptop model. Later
when I started using the b43-fwcutter on SuSE, I used that .sys file to
cut the firmware. Currently, while I have F10 on my desktop system, I
have Ubuntu on my laptop and the b43-fwcutter package seems to know
where to get the firmware.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix