what is "Document Viewer"?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat May 9 13:48:04 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I think you have lost sight of the user here, the average user would see
>> "evince" in a menu and have zero idea what it is and does.
>
> The correct thing to write is "Evince Document Viewer" (or any permutation
> of this). And the freedesktop.org .desktop file standard says this should
> be encoded as:
> Name=Evince
> GenericName=Document Viewer
> Now somebody just needs to fix GNOME not to ignore GenericName, and
> the .desktop files to use Name and GenericName as intended by the standard.

Yes, exactly. I might even suggest that the menu be built to say
  "GenericName (Name)"
so that multiple approaches to a task might be more evident.

It also would educate the user about the application name as well as the service
it provides, which is a good thing.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>