Backing up whole system

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat May 9 18:04:52 UTC 2009

On 9 May 2009 at 6:15, GMS S wrote:

Date sent:      	Sat, 9 May 2009 06:15:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:           	GMS S <gmspro at yahoo.com>
To:             	fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject:        	Backing up whole system
Send reply to:  	"Community assistance, encouragement,
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list.redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-
request at redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:fedora-list-
request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> What is the best and easy way to backup whole fedora 10?

What kind of backup are you trying to do?
I am the current maintainer of G4L, which is a live cd, and currently buiding
using my Fedora 10 systems and use to backup my computer labs. It is
basically a bare-bones backup usng dd and various compression options to
backup disks or partition. A disk backup copies everything, so it can restore a
system to a previous stare quickly. My lab has 80GB disks with
98/XP/Fedora 10 and it does a full backup in about 50 minutes using lzop
compression and 40 minutes to restore. lzop is about twice as fast as gzip
with my systems and only 10% larger image.

It can be run from a boot cd, but I added it as grub option to elimanate the
need to insert the cd each time.

title G4l
     kernel /bz29.1 ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0
     initrd /ramdisk.gz

These just requires copying one of the kernels from the iso or dev kit, and
placing it and the ramdisk.gz file in the boot directory.

The latest alpha version is
ftp://amd64gcc.dyndns.org/g4l-v0.30alpha57.iso
ftp://amd64gcc.dyndns.org/g4l-v0.30a57.devel.tar.gz

But the released 0.29 is on sourceforge, but doesn't have the latest kernels.

One final note. This backups up to an ftp server, or to external usb devices.
It is also totally free, and the dev kit has full source code.

> Thanks.
> Fedora 10.
>

> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 7,779,698.5080 | EINSTEIN 2,507,465.5409 | ROSETTA
904,381.9707