Fdisk screwup

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat May 9 19:05:54 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sat, 09 May 2009 13:26:29 -0400
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Definitely what you do before scrapping old drives.
>
> The trouble is I never scrap drives until they have
> physically stopped working, and it is too late to
> write on them at that point.
>
> I have taken some apart though - almost as good, especially
> after the platters get all scratched, mixed up, and scattered
> around - and you get some really powerful refrigerator
> magnets that way as well :-).

I should have said 'redeploy' because in general I have enough friends and
teen-age relatives to find a new home. And a pile of <1GB old IDE drives I will
probably either take apart or take to the range for configuration management.
But you really need to remove the oxide to remove the data, far too time
consuming, obsolete drives should be scribbed while they run, I don't care if
someone finds my old FC3 source RPMs. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>