f10 install - low screen resolution

David dgboles at comcast.net
Sat May 9 20:11:34 UTC 2009

On 5/9/2009 3:15 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>>> Changes in Xorg, over time...  The difficulty with a live CD is that
>>> it's virtually fixed with the original software, no updates.  It's not
>>> uncommon to find that people who've installed an OS (to writeable
>>> media), and had graphics problems, that they've gone away after a "yum
>>> update".
>> ----
>> much of this could be resolved by more people running the testing
>> versions and reporting issues with various hardware BEFORE it is
>> released.

> FC11 has not been released, and this problem goes back to FC9 at least,
> that certain monitors are mis-detected and are either too high or low in
> resolution. There should be one more install in addition to text and
> graphic (automatic) modes, and that is install with vga=ask to let the
> user pick the resolution needed.

> You can't imagine how unreadable 640x480 is on a 42" HDTV, you need the
> wireless keyboard and mouse to get about fifteen feet away. Or to enter
> the correct resolution, but many users don't know how to do that.

*My* Monitor is never detected correctly. I have to manually set this. The
problem? *My* monitor does not identify itself properly. So is that Fedora's
fault? Of my problem? I think it is the latter.

At the very least they usually give you a viewable screen.

The 'Evil God' Windows does not identify monitors. You get a viewable screen
that you then setup using video drivers that you download and install by hand.

Sheez...
--

  David