Still having problems with my tv tuner -- need help

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sat May 9 20:23:16 UTC 2009

On Saturday 09 May 2009 20:22, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> tvtime gives me a great picture but no sound.
>
> mplayer gives me a terrible picture and no sound.
>
> (terrible = inverted picture with green background; just black and
> magenta for colours; and vertical lines running through it.)
>
> Is there a way to find out which video codecs etc. tvtime is using so I
> can duplicate them in mplayer.  tvtime -v doesn't tell me (I think) nor
> is mplayer -v helpful.
>
> I have tried the sound with PulseAudio installed and removed.  No
> difference.

<enormous skip>
> P.S.  I am starting a new thread because a lot of information has
> changed since my original thread.
> --
> Regards Bill
> Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3
> Evo.2.24.5, Emacs 22.3.1

Hi Bill.

I did a whole bunch of googling about your problem with the sound, and did
find this on the v4l wiki for DVB. See below for link, etc.

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Cx88_devices_%28cx2388x%29

The suggestion is to load the following module, which affectively will create
another soundcard for capture from the TV card.

modprobe cx88-alsa

For me, that also installed the cx88 module, and another bunch of modules
related to v4l. As I don't have your TV card, or any TV card on this machine,
I suspect the only extra modules you will see in lsmod is cx88, and
cx88-alsa. You may now see 2 cards listed from the following command.

cat /proc/asound/cards

If by some miracle you do, alsamixer as below should access controls for the
second card.

alsamixer -D hw:1        (F4 again, if there are any capture controls)

The wiki link above suggests setting an alias line for cx88-alsa, and an
options line so that on bootup it's set as card1. Some modules create
problems and try to grab card0, which would create a conflict with your
onboard soundcard which is set to use card0.

There is no /etc/modprobe.conf file in F10, and not being sure where to add
lines in /etc/modprobe.d's files, I simply created a modprobe.conf file
in /etc, so that I could place an options line for my usb midi keyboard, and
it appears to work ok. I would suggest that you might do the same, and add
the following lines to it.

alias snd-card-1 cx88-alsa
options cx88-alsa index=1

I don't know if the alias line will work for you, it didn't for me, but I
don't have the TV card, so all the other stuff that your lsmod shows as being
loaded, may be necessary for the alias line to work correctly.

If after a reboot, the cx88, and cx88-alsa modules are not loaded, I would
suggest adding the following line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, reboot, and check
lsmod.

modprobe cx88-alsa

Also check cat /proc/asound/cards again, and see if 2 cards are showing.

This is only a shot in the dark, but the cx88-alsa module may fix the sounds.

All the best.

Nigel.