f10 install - low screen resolution

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun May 10 14:53:50 UTC 2009

David wrote:
> On 5/9/2009 3:15 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Craig White wrote:
>>> ----
>>> much of this could be resolved by more people running the testing
>>> versions and reporting issues with various hardware BEFORE it is
>>> released.
>
>> FC11 has not been released, and this problem goes back to FC9 at least,
>> that certain monitors are mis-detected and are either too high or low in
>> resolution. There should be one more install in addition to text and
>> graphic (automatic) modes, and that is install with vga=ask to let the
>> user pick the resolution needed.
>
>> You can't imagine how unreadable 640x480 is on a 42" HDTV, you need the
>> wireless keyboard and mouse to get about fifteen feet away. Or to enter
>> the correct resolution, but many users don't know how to do that.
>

> *My* Monitor is never detected correctly. I have to manually set this. The
> problem? *My* monitor does not identify itself properly. So is that Fedora's
> fault? Of my problem? I think it is the latter.

I don't think fault is an issue, there's a long-standing issue reported by
multiple people, and there's a solution allowing user selection regardless of
cause. As long as people waste time talking about 'fault' instead of solutions
the problem will be unsolved. And that goes for long discussions of the best
solution vs. implementing a low cost viable solution knowing it may be improved.

I have to believe adding a menu item "install using user-selected resolution"
would be low effort, and based on multiple machines and the method being used at
an installathon, I think it's viable.

> At the very least they usually give you a viewable screen.

On several SiS chipsets you get the top ten lines or so of a 640x480 resolution.
  Not useful for install. With 'vga=ask' 800x600 or higher and 15/16 bits it works.

> The 'Evil God' Windows does not identify monitors. You get a viewable screen
> that you then setup using video drivers that you download and install by hand.
>
> Sheez...

Windows is a great virtualization testing tool, like most benchmarks and testing
tools it's not actually *useful* for anything.  ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>