Mouse choices

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun May 10 15:06:07 UTC 2009

Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 08:20 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Lawrence E. Graves wrote:
>>> I am still not able to choose left-handed or right-handed at mouse
>>> control.
>> What have you tried? In Gnome, you can try System --> Preferences
>> --> Hardware --> Mouse - it works for me.
>
> Just for clarity, Lawrence already reported that this problem is on F11
> Preview. I was able to duplicate the problem on my system. I tested it
> to make sure, even though I am not left handed.
>
> ...That wound up sounding like a line from a favorite movie of mine. :)

There's more to this than meets the eye, I just tried on fc11 and it worked fine
for me, and instantly. I clicked left-handed and had to right click to exit the
pop-up. That machine hasn't been updated in 12 hours or so, but it's relatively
current.

I just did the system->pref->mouse thing. I looked at the top post in this and
it wasn't clear if the choice wasn't offered or it didn't work:

   "I am still not able to choose left-handed or right-handed at mouse
   control."

I think there was an earlier post on this to the testing list, it sounds familiar.

If the choice is not offered then I would look in the entrails of the Xorg log
and see what kind of mouse it thinks you have. Clearly if it believes you have a
Mac one button mouse or such, it isn't "handed" to change.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>