rpm experiences [was: Backing up whole system]

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun May 10 22:02:08 UTC 2009

I entirely agree with Rahul. There are many more tools and choices out
there now compared to when I started programming in 1981. Back then it
was just assembler, COBOL, and CICS and a bit of database stuff (also
IBM style.) Now the list goes on and on. In modern development, you have
to take into account the many security concerns and the ability to
rapidly distribute code over the Internet. You can release this morning
and have hundreds to tens of thousands of users tonight. That is
changing the entire face of applications development as one's user base
finds bugs rapidly (and sometimes these are show stoppers) and one's
code is actively attacked by malware. So approaches to software
development become ever more complex. They have to be.

Bob