How to redirect http to https with Apache/SVN/SSL

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun May 10 23:54:29 UTC 2009

Patrick W. Barnes wrote:
> On Sunday 10 May 2009 18:30:50 Patrick W. Barnes wrote:
>
>> <VirtualHost host.domain.com:80>
>>     ServerName host.domain.com
>>     RewriteEngine On
>>     RewriteRule ^/$ https://host.domain.com/ [R,L]
>>     RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://host.domain.com/$1 [R,L]
>> </VirtualHost>
>>

> Forgot to mention...
>
> Redirecting SVN causes it to display a message to the user, rather than follow
> the redirect.  Since I assume you want to force SSL to be used, setting up
> non-HTTPS access or having Apache proxy non-HTTPS queries is probably not what
> you want, and having SVN display that message and force users to specify HTTPS
> may be your best option.

Thanks!
I tried your above suggestion, and this is what I got:

$ svn list http://host.domain.com/svn/svn1
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/svn1'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/svn1': 302 Found (http://host.domain.com)

Is this expected?
The above modification changes the error code from
"405 Method Not Allowed" to "302 Found (http://host.domain.com)"