How to redirect http to https with Apache/SVN/SSL [SOLVED]

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Mon May 11 17:18:47 UTC 2009

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com> wrote:
>
>> Patrick W. Barnes wrote:

>>> Keep in mind that having Apache proxy non-HTTPS queries will mean that the
>>> link from the client to the server will NOT be SSL-protected.  Traffic from
>>> the SVN client to your server will be in the clear.
>>>

>> Sigh,  I tested http://[...] and it appears that SSL certification is not
>> being requested, so it appears that you are correct.
>>
>> I will keep trying.  If anyone has a (potential) solution, please let me
>> know?
>>

> Why don't you just turn of http? And/or redirect all http to https?

Then that would mean that my normal website for anonymous users
would be forced use https when it is not required?

As it is, I could just drop the <VirtualHost host.domain.com:80>
code block for subversion and who cares if subversion reports an error
for those attempting to use the http:[...]/svn/svnX string, as it would
not be allowed except for https.

Seems nicer to force http to https only for /svn requests but perhaps
there is no solution/support for it...  from what I can tell, others have
claimed to get this to work but I have not been able to duplicate it.